Newark City is thinking of privatizing their garbage collection.
Here are things to remember:
- As a public service, their prime duty is to their customers. Which is you.
- As a private service, their prime duty is to their investors, not you.
- As a public service, there is public input allowed on raising the rates.
- As a private service there is no public overseer of rate rising.
- As a public service hiring locals, all the money spent on labor, returns to your economy.
- As a private service the money spent on labor goes to where each employee lives.
- As a public service if you complain someone follows up.
- As a private service they can tell you, we just don’t do that…
- As a public service, a contract is valid as long as the city is standing or until it is replaced by City Council
- As a private entity, a contract is null and void as soon as the company is acquired by another investor.
These are the grand points to ponder… Another is this… can a private service perform the operation as well or cheaper than the city. If savings are sufficient, it may pay to switch….
But this concerns all of you… Please go to the Church of the Nazarene on Paper Mill Road for the discussion and public airing of this proposal… Set this date… Monday, September 21, 2015 … at 6 pm…. Don’t be pushed around… And don’t believe everything you hear about privatization… some of you still remember what happened with Delmarva Power….