it seems like the easiest way to balance and effectively use Component 5 as a modification in teacher’s evaluations, is to have it become 1/10th of parts 1-4….. The current version of Delaware’s Code … CHAPTER 12. Subchapter VII. Educator Evaluations; § 1270. The Delaware Performance Appraisal System II;

(c) DPAS II must have no more than 5 components and must have a strong focus on student improvement, with 1 component dedicated exclusively to student improvement and weighted at least as high as any other component. The measure of student improvement must include an off-grade assessment, if available, along with other measures determined by the Department and the State Board. The measure of student improvement must take into consideration student absence, student mobility, student chronic noncompliance with school rules, chronic failure by parents to abide by the Parents’ Declaration of Responsibilities under § 157 of this title, and other factors that may adversely affect the evaluation. If a student has missed more than 15% of the class time, the student’s performance evaluation shall not be used in evaluating a teacher under this chapter.

Should be changed to read like this…..

(c) DPAS II must have no more than 5 components     DPAS II must have no more than 4 components, and all 4 must have some focus on student improvement, with 1 component dedicated exclusively to student improvement and weighted at least as high as any other component.   No more than 10% of each of the 4 components can be weighted upon the classroom standardized DCAS test results for students under said teacher.  The remaining 90%  of each component must include an off-grade assessment, if available, along with other measures determined by the Department and the State Board. The measure of student improvement must take into consideration student absence, student mobility, student chronic noncompliance with school rules, chronic failure by parents to abide by the Parents’ Declaration of Responsibilities under § 157 of this title, and other factors that may adversely affect the evaluation. If a student has missed more than 15% of the class time, the student’s performance evaluation shall not be used in evaluating a teacher under this chapter.

SYNOPSIS

This Bill recognizes that test scores are an objective evaluation tool that can become very flawed. For example, a great teacher can move from an affluent high scoring school to a high-poverty low scoring school, and receive low DECAS test scores because of situations far beyond their control. This bill preserves the objectivity of the test scores without unnecessarily penalizing any teacher who might get good evaluations on all other components. On the other hand, if all evaluations of the teacher are poor or marginal, even weighted at 10%, low test scores can still cause proper grounds for dismissal. This bill attempts to rectify the inequities the current Component 5 creates in the evaluation process of all Delaware’s teachers…

Advertisements