Thanks to Elizabeth. if you aren’t following this and have children in school, you are flat out uninformed. As parents you don’t have to push your child off the high end diving board just because the Secretary of Education says you have to.
You can opt out….
Read hers first and come back. In essence here is what is up……
“The Supreme Court held that the right of parents to raise their children free from unreasonable state interferences is one of the unwritten “liberties” protected by the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.”(262 U.S. 399).
“It is cardinal with us that the custody, care and nurture of the child reside first in the parents, whose primary function and freedom include preparation for the obligations the State can neither supply nor hinder.” (Prince v.Massachusetts, 321 U.S. 158)
Based upon these findings, you can exercise the fundamental right to issue a parental directive to opt your children out of high-stakes testing in all forms and by all various names…
Whereas the state may come after you as they do school districts that don’t do their bidding with lots of hollow threats. But as the school systems showed by standing up for truth, those threats don’t mean dick.
For the law of the land, is that parents have ultimate control over their child’s education. For the law of the land is extremely emphatic, that children are not wards of any political entity of any part of the state.
In case you are coming to this argument for the first time, allow me to enumerate why these test should be spared from your child.
- They do not measure what your child knows.
- They do not determine whether or not he is on track to be college or career ready.
- They create unnecessary stress and disappointment in children.
- They are an idea, the untested creation of how children should learn by one single person who has never had children.
- They are designed to brainwash your child into thinking he is stupid and therefore should never challenge authority which knows better than him.
- They are designed to put your child in boxes by destroying any love for creativity.
- They are designed to strictly get your child into the lowest community college. They will not make your child into a doctor.
- They are designed to convince your child not to read or to learn math on his own in a fun way.
- They are designed to make children into adults who accept the conditions thrown at them at work, without question….
If you love your children. opt out. If you hate them, then what the heck. Make them take the test.